Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Maybe this is why I don't like artificial Christmas trees?

One of my biggest weaknesses is: I really, really dislike artificiality. In fact, I may go so far as to say I hate it. And the problem with that is: I'm not very good at lying or disguising my thoughts sometimes.

I really have a hard time with people that say one thing and do another; that pretend you're their best friend when you're around and do just the opposite when you're not -- or really couldn't care less if they see you ever again (as evidenced by the fact that you never do); that ask you a question and don't really care to hear the answer; that do everything so they appear a certain way; who are entirely different depending on who they are with; who let their lives be defined by being anti-something and never pro anything. How does anyone know who these people really are? What do these people stand for? And, lately, I feel like that's how most people I know are. Even people I thought weren't. And, sometimes, that makes me discouraged.

Maybe I'm artificial, too. I'm sure I have my moments. And maybe that's why it bothers me so much -- you dislike most in others what you dislike in yourself. So, New Year's Resolution 2: become less artificial. Maybe that will help. Because I don't like disliking people.

So, if you want to help me out, I'm up for it. Don't feel like you need to barrage my blog with suggestions, but I guess you can if you want.

4 comments:

Holly Harris Murray said...

E, you are one of the most beautiful, talented, genuine, graceful people I know. Nothing artificial about that!

e said...

You're FAR too kind, but thank you.

Anonymous said...

the sisters need to get together... I'm just waiting to hear what works with all ya'lls schedules lady.

Anonymous said...

e vincent...you know, this is one of the reasons why i love you so, YOU ARE REAL. i couldn't agree more with holly. i think that is why people are instantly attracted to you and want to get to know you. anyways, i had no idea you had a blog until i got your email. i hope we haven't been marked as fakies in your book, i know we are terrible at keeping in touch! but despite our poor communicating, we think about you all the time and wish that we lived closer.