Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An open letter to the people playing loud music on my street

Dear "neighborly" music listeners:

I rode to work in silence this morning. Music was not needed because the drumbeat from your music is on loop in my head. "Duh duh dun da da (rest) duh. Duh duh dun da da (rest) duh. Duh duh dun da da (rest) duh. Duh duh dun da da (rest) duh..."

I appreciate that you like your music. Really; I do. My poor little car speakers share my understanding. Everyone needs to turn up their tunes now and then. But, really, is 2:16 a.m. the best time to do that?

Why?

Why did you choose to stop right in the middle of the road and open all four doors on your white, extended-cab truck -- as if your sub woofer were not thunderous enough? Did you select that location specifically because it would affect the most buildings?

You didn't appear to be drinking, so why were you just standing outside your car, yelling idle conversation to one another as your music blared? Do you have something against the old woman that was sleeping just to your west? Against me, just to the southeast? Against the neighbors directly to the east? Do you have something against sleeping, period?

I would have come out and talked to you. Asked you to turn it down. Perhaps I should have just called the police about your noise ordinance violation. But you were six Tongans, and I am just one me. I wasn't sure it was wise.

I'm not sure if you're moving into one of the condos that just sold. If so, I hope that we can be friends. But you're going to have to learn that not everyone wants to hear your R&B/rap at 2:16 a.m. (Well... ever.) Otherwise, I'm afraid your reception to the neighborhood might not be as warm as you'd like.

Sincerely,

E

P.S. I have a neighbor I could sic on you, if needed. She has big poofy hair, seems like she is constantly casting a curse on you, and would be happy to stand in front of your door and stare.

3 comments:

I'm A said...

Oh boo. Seriously, people suck. How is your crazy old lady neighbor?

Anonymous said...

do you live next to my neighbor? because he does the exact same things...

Rachel said...

Oh E. This is a perfect example of why I love my witty little sister. You are great and crack me up.