Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

I like that my house is within walking distance of the grocery store, a RiteAid, the video store, several restaurants, a little shopping center with random goods, and church. When I can, I try to walk to these places. I realize that "can" is a VERY subjective term. For instance: do sub-zero temperatures mean I "can't"? In the past, I haven't walked to church when it's freezing. I'll give you that.

But with gas prices going up, growing concern about the condition of the environment, and my ever-increasing age (and therefore a greater need to work at being healthy), I like to do what I can to help -- myself and the world around me. I use cloth bags at the grocery store, and if I need more bags than I brought, I encourage the baggers to use as few as possible. (My loaf of bread really doesn't need a bag all to itself.)

So I was a little surprised the other day to be told I'm a hypocrite because I wanted to walk to the video store when I drive to work every day. What? If I didn't own a car, I could say something about trying to help the environment? If I walked everywhere, I could say something? How is doing a little bit to help -- and for good reasons, too -- being a hypocrite? I care about the environment enough to cut back on driving. Simple as that. I'm not a granola, or uber-green person, but seriously. Hypocrite?

When I asked about this hastily assigned label, I was told I was "dwelling on it." Well, how's this for "dwelling?" This is MUCH more like dwelling.

7 comments:

David said...

Hypocritical? I would have said flatulent.

Anonymous said...

You've figured me out. It's really that the wide-open outdoors are so much better than the stifling, confined space of a car. Dang it! I was hoping no one would see through that.

Anonymous said...

I'm just wondering if this person is aware that you work downtown, which is nearly impossible (in my mind) to walk to from where you live. And, does this person actually know what the word hypocrite means? And, is this person's name Moron?

:)

MUG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MUG said...

What a silly person. I'm sorry you even had to deal with them. Though you didn't mention, does this person walk everywhere, even to work, everyday?

Anne said...

I agree with the comment about this person being a MORON!!!! I think that if you believe in something you don't have to be fanatical about it, for your beliefs and concerns to be justified. The environment should be EVERYONES concern, that doesn't mean I expect everyone to stop driving their cars, compost their trash, use manure to fertilize their lawns, or for that matter put in xero-scaping. Nor do I expect them to use cloth diapers and use towels or cloths, after they go potty!!! Doing the small things is what makes a difference, especially if we all did them. Anyway enough of my rant... but this person clearly does not think about what they say before they say it, which is probably why they were bothered you asked them about it again, because in reality, they realized it was a stupid, very stupid, thing to say.

Also, you should convert that flatulence into some car powering fuel. Take that "going-green hypocrisy"!!

David said...

Or if you can crank up your flatulence enough, maybe you can simply propel yourself places through fart power!