Thursday, July 31, 2008

I don't have a good title today.

When I first saw "The Dark Knight," I wasn't sure what I thought about it. Of course, I was part of the enthusiam created in an opening night crowd. It was obvious to me that it was an incredible film. Nothing lacked. Both "Batman Begins" and the latest installment in the series are deeply philosophical and psychological films -- an admirable feat (and intention) among the purile and inane Hollywood films that are so pervasive. But, I wondered if this film was too dark -- a question which raised some discussion among many across the nation. I'm happy to say that the film gets better the more I think about it.

I think this article, from the National Post, provides interesting discussion:

SAINT BATMAN?

"SYDNEY, Australia [which should be read somewhat wistfully] -Heath Ledger is mesmerizing in The Dark Knight, the latest Batman film. Here in his Australian homeland, his posthumous appearance as the Joker has been a major news story for two weeks.

"It's an extraordinary film, even if you are, inexplicably, unmoved by the addition of futuristic gadgets to the most reliable blockbuster combination in cinema: explosions, firearms, car chases and more explosions. This Batman comes with the bonus of some of the more combustible questions in philosophy. What is evil? Is there a moral order built into our world, or is to speak of such a moral design delusional?

"This Joker does not permit us to dismiss him as delusional; he comes with an argument. This is not the maniacal buffoon of Jack Nicholson's star turn nearly 20 years ago. This Joker is diabolical."

Finish the article here.

4 comments:

I'm A said...

That is the creepiest movie poster I've ever seen. I really loved this movie.

David said...

Interesting article. Where did you find it?

e said...

I heard about it from a really awesome person, I think.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this movie; I saw it twice during opening weekend.