Thursday, September 10, 2009

A little embarrassed.

I really like the TV show House, but I can't say I really watch it much. I don't know why. I probably have more time to watch television than I actually use. But I saw an episode last night and something Wilson said kind of struck me. In fact, I've been giving it more thought than a simple TV quote should garner in a healthy individual.

He was talking about people -- the people that really influence your life -- and he said, "You don't get to pick your family; I'm not even sure, anymore, that you get to pick who your friends are."

This intrigued me. I'm not a fatalist. I don't think, necessarily, that things are "meant" to happen. But I've often thought about the people in my life: why there are some people that just always seem to be around -- even when I don't make much effort; why some people leave unexpectedly; why some people always mean to make more effort, but never do; why some are easy to let go; why there are some that you can't quite seem to remove; why there are some you would be desperate without; and the small, happenstance, almost impulse decisions that change your entire social circle. I feel like -- of all the things that could happen, of all the people that could be in my life, of all the major influences in my life -- the people that surround me, and have surrounded me, are not just by coincidence. But I can't say I really "chose" any of it. Most the time, the things that I choose on my own don't really work out. It's the unexpected that sticks around and that makes the lasting difference. But the things those people bring out in me are so crucial to who I am, I don't believe it's entirely chance.

I don't know that I have a ton of life philosophies yet. But I have a few:
  • The best decisions in life will always be the ones that seem like a long-shot and you go after it anyway because your gut tells you to -- even if it doesn't turn out like you thought.
  • You'll never regret trying hard to be a better person.
  • The people around you matter. A lot. And I think I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this one.
So, to all my friends and readers (maybe some of you will see this), thank you. Thank you for being people that I can aspire to emulate. Thank you for making my life meaningful. Thank you for helping me see the world in new ways, for encouraging me to be better, and for being patient with my hundreds of weaknesses.

Ok. The cheese is over for a minute. It'll be back, I'm sure. You never know. This hit me watching House. Next time it might be from the slogan of some local restaurant. I'm not quite sure how, but I have a feeling "Switch to Geico and Save" might just describe how I'm feeling about something one of these days.

What about you? Any life philosophies you want to share? (And, please, don't feel obligated to share in my gush. I hear that too much cheese makes your breath stink. But there's probably room for a little more, if you want.)

5 comments:

Michelle Glauser said...

That is so true. I always think how blessed I am to have people around me. Last week I had nose surgery, and I was amazed to see all the support when my family couldn't be there. I think one of my newly learned life philosophies is that although I hate the weaknesses of mine that manifest themselves through my challenges, I really wouldn't trade them for someone else's. I see how they fit me and strengthen me.

MUG said...

I love your House quote. My family is small, so my friends are like a big extended family, I like the idea that we're meant to be rather than choosen to be.

Sarah said...

I think it great to be moved by little things like House. You are right, it is incredible and wonderful how much friends and family change and touch our lives.

Anonymous said...

House is my new religion

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I love House. But more importantly...I will pay you A LOT of money to make me one of those shirts. LOVE.