Sunday, October 12, 2008

Embiggen

"Thanks, and have a nice... uh... evening," he says with a smile, confident in the charisma he actually lacks. Airports are the ideal people watching spot. There are so many people, but not enough bustle that it's impossible to take people in. This man, for instance, ordered the clerk at the airline desk around -- thinking he was somehow charming and exuding a "well-travelled" aura, when really he was just impolite.

There was a woman a few seats down from me waiting for a flight to Boston, where she was getting married. She was talking loudly on her cellphone to her mom about the stress of repacking too many suitcases and trying to figure out how to decrease checked-baggage weight. In the end, she was given a fee of $280 and her mom didn't quite understand why. Then flight 6420 to Boston was called and she and her fiance toted hundreds of wedding menus onto the plane as their carry-on luggage.

But, there's another reason I love airports: I love flying. No matter if you're leaving or coming home, something good always lays ahead. There is inherent excitement sitting in your seat, listening to the video about oxygen masks and exits, and feeling the plane take off.

I think this could be a good trip for me: Even with my "haven't-slept-in-48 hours-and-I've-been-sitting-on-a-plane-for-much-of-that-time" look, I already had (crazy) men hitting on me. Don't worry; no matter where I go, I manage to attract the same type of people, so those stories aren't over. (And? As a bonus, I learned that I, too, exude much less charisma than I thought, because they thought I might be a terrorist when I landed.)

A few photos:







2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! The London posts begin!

erin said...

I so agree. I love to travel. I love to people watch. I am so jealous of your adventure. Please, please keep these coming. It will be the highlight of my very mundane days. :)