Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mixtape.

I admire people who share themselves readily. I'm going to work on that.

Today, I have a whole slew of quotes from "Gigi" rumbling around in my head. I think everyone should watch this movie forthwith! (Most especially: me.) The quote that got me started, though, was, "I'd rather be miserable with you than without you." It just popped in there, not entirely unprovoked, and the flood gates opened; Oh, Gigi! Am I a fool without a mind? Quite possibly.

Yesterday, my class was a review of kindergarten: "This is a triangle. This is a square. What's this shape, class? A circle? Good!" Today, we got a much harder (read: 8 hour) assignment on comping type. This class reminds me of my friend Sarah.

I've been trying to find the soundtrack to my life lately: something that I can listen to and think, "That's it exactly!" I've been doing a little Priscilla Ahn, The Weepies, Kings of Leon, Joshua Radin, Damien Jurado, Fleet Foxes, Jenny Lewis, TV on the Radio, Keane, Tristan Prettyman, Jose Gonzales. Missy Higgins. Radiohead. Despite the excellent choices, my aesthetic connections feel a little fleeting. I suppose soundtracks are almost always mixtapes.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Might I suggest you add some Feist to the mix. She always seems to improve things.
And I'm so glad you got your shapes down. And thank you for thinking of me when you think of type. I'm so flattered.

e said...

Feist is ever-present. How negligent of me to leave her off the list!

MUG said...

I read your list and went "oh" and "yes" all the way down. I believe Feist should always be added to every mix. As should Sia, I think she would fit right in with your mix.