Friday, June 19, 2009

Handwritten Friday: This person is named Elizabeth.

So, on Tuesday night I took the hour drive to Brigham City with my co-worker/bishop and his ten-year-old daughter. She's in 5th grade and loves to write. At one point, I asked her to describe someone and she said she wasn't good at describing people. I ribbed her a little bit and said, "What? The writer can't describe people?"

Her dad and I thought she was just doodling on his notebook in the back seat. An hour is a long drive for a ten-year-old and she was a sweetie and very patient; didn't complain the whole time.

The next day, my bishop called to say he had something to give me. He and his wife came over and read me the following, which they found in his notebook:


"Short hair with bangs. The color is black with a tint of red. Her eyes are brown and twinkle no matter what mood she's in. Her smile was gentle and uplifting and her laugh is happy and wonderful. This person is named Elizabeth."

I share this only because it melted my cold, cold heart. Kids are just so fabulous.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

No really, I found this super heart warming. This plus Up and I am now a puddle of gooey love.

e said...

I hear you about UP. I've told everyone I know to see it, but I don't think most of them remember. But, soon, they will realize that the Velvet Hammer always has good recommendations. I will Velvet Hammer them into realizing it.

Andrea Mouritsen said...

UP! I looooooved UP. I was already bawling 15 minutes in. Also, this post is the sweetest thing I have seen in a long time. Just lovely.

whitney holland. said...

This is super adorable and VERY true!!

Anne said...

Kids are so honest. She nailed it!!! You are fabulous!

Michelle Glauser said...

Taking a break from my regularly-scheduled programming (master's thesis, I mean). Sweet.

Sarah said...

So cute, she did get it right, you, however, are wrong, you have a warm heart!

Rachel said...

So cute!!!