Monday, June 8, 2009

You can grow flowers from where dirt used to be.

I'm coming up on my two-year anniversary owning my place. So, in honor, I thought I'd do a few posts. It's still not really even close to where I'd like it to be, but I'm getting there.

For starters, this weekend, I decided to do a little yard maintenance. I think the HOA is supposed to cover much of it, but there are a few things they don't do and a few things they don't do very well. So I took matters into my own hands.

I've always had this (in my opinion) ugly wine-barrel planter at the front of my house. The first summer and all of last year, I loathed it so much that I ignored it. I'd still like to get rid of it, but -- in the meantime -- why make it doubly ugly with dead plants and weeds? So, after upsetting thousands of ants and their home, this is what it looks like today:







One thing I'd like them to do better is shape the bushes in front of my house. (As you can see, they're a little crazy looking.) The other thing I'd like them to do better is trim the ivy in my carport. They did the first year, but last summer and so far this year, they've done nothing. So? I went to Home Depot, got some clippers, bagged 3 bags of ivy, old leaves, and other such stuff and ended up with this (I took no "before" picture, so this is basically meaningless. But it's better. I promise. Three bags better.) :



I promise future home anniversary posts will be more interesting. Or at least, I'll try.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm convinced that you don't sleep. I'm jealous of your productivity. And your cute house.