Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Expecting

So, the other day, I wore this to work:

MC and I picked out as the cutest thing of all the million things in a Forever 21 store. Of course I had to wear a black sweater with it, and I wore pants with it, because I think that's the style. I don't have leggings, and I'm anti-leggings anyway. I can't wear jeans to work, but I don't have "skinny" jeans anyway. (As a side note, I noticed that the zippered leg jeans are back. I called that last year and people mocked me saying that "not everything from the 80's will come back." Well, they did.) So, I wore black pants that are relatively straight legged. I figured that was best.

What I didn't know is that this "shirt" is listed as a "dress" on the Forever 21 site. It's not that long, so I'm sure it's meant to be worn with something, but maybe that something is ONLY leggings. So the following scenario may be my fault:

I'm walking to meet with one of the VPs of Intermountain. His secretary comes out of his office just as I'm arriving and says: "Oh! I didn't know you... Are you... When are you... It's so great that..." In response to my semi-blank look, she looks to my left hand, notices that I don't have a ring and says, "Oh. Never mind. Sorry."

All I could do was kind of laugh inside, smile, and say, "It's ok. I'm not pregnant, but that's a great idea for when I am." Or something like that. I mean, I didn't follow the fashion guidelines exactly, and even if I had, it's not reasonable to expect her to be up on the latest fashion, which is, I must say, a little maternity-esque.

I've never really thought of myself as old enough to be having children, although obviously I am. So, not only am I not expecting a little bun in the oven, I wasn't expecting her comment. Mostly because I wasn't expecting that other people would think of me as old enough to have children, either. Nor was I expecting that -- the first time someone said that to me -- I'd find it so wholeheartedly amusing and not a bit offensive. So, I'm not sure what I'm expecting, but it sounds like I best start expecting something.

No comments: