Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rosie

Today, I held a tarantula. A "friendly Chilean Rose Hair tarantula." Pretty much it was freaky.

I was at the Butterfly Pavilion in Broomfield, CO. Everyone else could handle it. MC opted not to do it, since she had before. Jeff did just fine. All the kids did just fine. And I freaked out. They told me that I needed to calm down or else "Rosie" would bite me. (Apparently, tarantulas don't often bite unless they feel threatened.) Yeah. That helped me calm down.

Usually, an experience with Rosie involves her walking across two hands. But not for me. Too much risk I guess, since I am, evidently, a wimp. I had just one hand. I had a spider walking across my hand, and it was only about 4 seconds, but I think that was about 4 seconds too long. (I really did ok... ish.) Here's to confronting your fears. At least I got a sticker out of it. I wore it proudly around the Pavilion for the rest of the afternoon.


I tried to have Chloe take a picture of me, but it was too blurry, so I've included one of Jack instead. Happy as a clam. Cute as one, too.

And the butterflies were cool. Here's one called "Greater Mormon," but it's from Malaysia. Go figure.

No comments: