Sunday, March 25, 2007

Inspired by real events...

I thought that it might be requisite to explain "Ela Woman." She is, of course, most of the world's favorite heroine, but in case you are unfamiliar, I will enlighten you. Ela Woman (ee la woo m-uh n) was created circa 1990. I suppose she was inspired by my interactions with the world... (For more on this topic, come back to see an interview with the cartoonist.) There are a few trademarks of any "Ela Woman" comic that, if you know what you're looking for, serve as indication that you are viewing a genuine, original strip. In the words of the esteemed cartoonist, David Vincent:

  • "Ela Woman always escaped death because her opponents accidentally killed themselves. They would be about to slice her up with knives, but would instead slice themselves up. Or they would be about to shoot her with guns (I believe that was the plot of Ela Woman vs. the Abraham Lincolns From Mars), but then they accidentally shot themselves in the head instead of her (doh!). "

  • "Other Ela Woman hallmarks [must be] present -- for instance, stylistic simplicity yet inconsistency."

For this blog, I have convinced Dave to come out of retirement for another edition, as seen below. (This is also found in the header, but I thought a larger version here may be helpful.) The realm of his creativity knows no bounds, as he worked effortlessly to incorporate real life events in the comic strip. (Yes. I did sneeze mouthwash all over the bathroom, and it may very well be that the Old Western Movie Stars of Doom were lurking nearby -- in invisiblity cloaks, or in miniature form. Thank goodness I always escape somehow.)

A final thought from Dave about "Ela Woman vs. the Fiendish Old Western Movie Stars of Doom:" "What I like best about this version is how happy you are to be using your mouthwash."

Don't we all?

No comments: