Thursday, January 3, 2008

And while I'm on the subject of music...

I would like to say that I also love John Mayer's newest song: "Say." I loved it the first instant I heard it. (Sure, the chorus is a bit repetitive, but it's just good.)

I've been impressed, again, lately by the power of music to bring us together. I think it was Beethoven who said, "Great music begins and ends with silence." I like to think that's because of the power music has to take us somewhere else, to feel something beyond ourselves. And even if we're all going to different places within ourselves, that silence comes when we all, as a group, come back from our transcendental, ethereal experiences. And all of us provide that experience for each other -- as musicians playing together or as a receptive audience. I guess you can tell that I've been missing playing with an orchestra or singing in a choir.

It's just amazing that we are all so different, but in those moments, we all take our varying talents and viewpoints and make something beautiful. I wish I had that gift in me to a far greater extent. But, today, I will just be grateful for the artists who create these experiences for me.

1 comment:

Holly Harris Murray said...

E,

I just blog tagged you which means...go to my blog and copy and paste my blog tag post, insert your answers and post on your blog. I'll be checking! Then you can tag other people!

Love you!